Tours at 9am, 10am, 11am, 1:30pm and 3pm except Saturday afternoons, Sunday, national holidays and New Years(Dec 25-Jan 5)
Added to JGarden:
All visitor's must obtain permission in advance from the Kyoto office of the Imperial Household Agency (located on the grounds of the Gosho).
Built as a retreat for Emperor Gomizuno (1596-1680) and funded by the Tokugawas. The site is enormous and includes Lower, Middle and Upper Villas, each with distinctly different design themes.
Originally, the palace was was composed of an Upper Teahouse (Kami no Ochaya) and a Lower Teahouse (Shimo no Ochaya). The upper tea house is also called Rinuntei and has an amazing view of the large pond. What is now known as the Middle Teahouse (Naka no Ochaya) was originally the old Rinkyûji temple, joined to the palace grounds in the Meiji period (late 19th century).
While the sound
Of the cascade
Long since has ceased,
We still hear the murmur
Of its name.
Taki no oto wa
Nao kikoe kere.
Fujiwara no Kinto (966-1041) Hyakunin Isshu trans. by M.V. Otake