This sub-temple of Tofukuji was substantially altered in 1877 with the addition of a stone path that bisects the garden in front of the main hall. The result is one of the most intriguing gardens in Kyoto. On the west side of the path is a rectangle of sand raked in a checkerboard and a clump of trees and stones in one corner forming a crane and turtle arrangement. On the east side of the path is a pond garden with a stone bridge, clipped shrubs, and a a planted hillock.
Without a speck of dust's being raised,
the mountains tower up;
without a single drop's falling,
the streams plunge into the valley.