Shibata Mitsuari moved to this location in 1662 and built the new family residence here. His son, Kiyonobu, added his own residence to the site and built this garden. The pond garden stretches from the south to the west and is meant to be viewed from Kantokan, the drawing room or study.
Kantokan looks out on a pond spanned by an earth-covered wood bridge. There is a small, stone central island in the middle of the bridge leading to a steep, stone-paved beach.
Chanting the Nembutsu,
Fields and mountains.