c. 1598 (Momoyama period); rebuilt in 1674; rebuilt again after 1947 fire
9am - 4pm; closed Mondays
Added to JGarden:
Chishaku-in weathered many storms. Originally built hundreds of kilometers away in Wakayama (formerly Kii), it was moved here by Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1598. The original garden was reconstructed in 1674 by Sosei but it was destroyed again in 1947 by fire. Not all of the garden and buildings have been rebuilt. This is primarily a pond garden, with the water extending underneath the temple. It is also known for its flowering azaleas in April and May.
Telling a tale as they go
Straw cape, umbrella.
Buson Yosa trans. by Brownas and Thwaite Edo period