Okubo Tadatomo, daimyo of Shimofusa-sakura (now known as Chiba Prefecture) had this garden constructed in 1678. It took its current form when additions were made on the east side of the temple in 1696. The design is representative of the ocean-inlet-style garden with its large size and numerous islands. It is surrounded by a dyke known as a seiko zutsumi. The garden used to be know as Rakujuen, but it is now referred to as the Kyuu (Former) Shiba Imperial Villa.
The path of fallen leaves
Leads to the graves on the hill,
And stops there.